View topic - coolant leak

Register    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Topical Discussion » Engine and Performance

Post subject: coolant leak
 Post Posted: February 17th, 2009, 6:00 pm 
Seasoned
Seasoned

Okay, got a small coolant leak some place. Weird thing is the location that I see the coolant at. It is on the A arms on the drivers side. I cannot see any place that it could be leaking from, but my guess/fear is the head or the gasket. It is a very small amount right now, and I think it leaks after it is been running for a while then cools down. Also the oil still looks okay, no milky look . Any thought or experience? Thanks.

CB1

Silver 2002 SE 4x4
Camini rear shackles, AC 2" Body Lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT KO's, Hella 500 lights, XM and other odds and ends.

Post subject: RE: coolant leak
 Post Posted: February 17th, 2009, 7:53 pm 

Xterra model year: 2000
Check under/around the throttle body.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: February 18th, 2009, 9:33 am 

Look here too.

Attachments:
!cid_590182518@29092008-2B40.jpg
!cid_590182518@29092008-2B40.jpg [ 31.02 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: February 19th, 2009, 5:30 pm 
Seasoned
Seasoned

Outwiththeold,

That picture is where my coolant leak is. what is that? Is it something I can repair or do I replace? I didn't look too long at it, we had the yard sprayed today and the smell was giving me a headache. Not so happy to say that I have also developed a leak from the power steering reservoir. Great! I guess this is what happens when the truck bearly gets driven for a year. I am hoping a hose clamp will fix that one, looks like it will.

CB1

Silver 2002 SE 4x4
Camini rear shackles, AC 2" Body Lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT KO's, Hella 500 lights, XM and other odds and ends.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: February 19th, 2009, 10:20 pm 
Seasoned
Seasoned

Search something called "wax pellet" and see what comes up here. Brent knows what it is called also. He knows his shit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: February 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm 

Ok, I did it. It was actually very simple. This is what I did.

1. I removed the intake tube to get better clearance to reach the AWS. While I was at it I clean the MAF sensor too.

2. I reached in and removed the philips screw holding the "C" bracket which hold the AWS in place. It looked like there was locktite on the screw but mine wasn't very tight. Use a high quality philips or flathead so as not to strip this screw. becareful not to drop them into the engine area.

3. I used a small screw driver and slipped it behind the adjuster screw on the spring pack and pulled it back and strapped it down. Basically pulling the spring tension off of the AWS and out of the way so you can remove it.

4. Then I used another screw driver placed it on the edge of the AWS and "lightly" tapped it to free it fom the dried antifreeze on it. I wiggled it a bit and it came right out. The oring is in real bad shape.

5. I removed the old oring with a small flathead without scratching it. Looks like it's made of brass which is soft. I washed it under some water to get the antifreeze off and wiped down the throttle body as well.

6. The new oring is kind of tight so I used my finger and applied a little grease around the oring and the insert area and it popped right in without a fight. I was fighting with it for 15min so I know, use the grease.

7. Now, I release the tension on the spring pack and replaced the bracket and screw. I used a magnetic tip philips screw driver to make it easier to put the screw back. Or you can use gum. I sprayed some lithium grease on the spring packs and the throttle cables and put everything back.

It took me about 1-1/2 hrs to do but that was because I was being very careful. But it really should just take you half an hour. It was really cold out too which slowed me down. Anyway, it has been 3 days now and no leak.

No fancy tools needed, just a couple of screwdrivers and a pair of pliers to remove the hose clamps. I got the #116 orings online for next to nothing.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: July 14th, 2009, 12:06 am 
Seasoned
Seasoned

Finally got to this problem today that I have had for years.....

Used a different process since my Intake was out already due to a head gasket leak....BUT...hopefully done leaking....I'll miss the smell... :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: November 10th, 2009, 2:45 pm 
Seasoned
Seasoned

Okay so finally getting around to fixing this. i posted this back in Feb. It actually quit leaking for a while, but has started leaking again and is worse than before. Anywys, how much coolant is going to come out when I remove the screw and bracket to get to the O-ring out? Just want to make sure I am ready with a pan large enogh to catch it all. Just looking at it, it doesn't look like it would be very much. Thanks.

CB1

Silver 2002 SE 4x4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: November 10th, 2009, 5:35 pm 

Xterra model year: 2000
Yeah, shouldn't be much, pint or so if that. You'll need to remove the supply and return lines to the throttle body to remove the throttle body anyway.

Board index » Topical Discussion » Engine and Performance