View topic - Cylinder 5 Misfire.. or?

Register    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Topical Discussion » Engine and Performance

Post subject: Cylinder 5 Misfire.. or?
 Post Posted: March 4th, 2008, 10:55 pm 

So I come back from a trip and my 2000 (87,000 miles) X V6 has sat for about a month. A notice a stain on the ground and it appears that the anti-freeze has leaked out. I put about 3/4 of a gallon of anti-freeze in, and its not leaking. I checked and checked and I cant see the leak, its been a week and still no missing antifreeze.
Also, I notice that from time to time it’s running real rough. It will start out running rough and then smooth out and then stay smooth even if I stop and start again. Other times it will run fine all day. The engine light finally came on and I had the codes read and its a cylinder 5 misfire (P0305) and a anti-knock sensor (P0325). I figure the sensor error b/c of the misfire.
I'm dreading pulling the #5, If I remember correctly it's the impossible to reach one in the back. I did the plugs and wires last spring what a PIA.
Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause the (possibly false) misfire, but only intermittently, and the anti-freeze leak? I figure if it’s going to misfire, it should do it all the time, and it doesn't.
Anyway, I know that was a lot so I appreciate if you got this far, and any brainstorms you have.

Post subject: RE: Cylinder 5 Misfire.. or?
 Post Posted: March 5th, 2008, 1:53 am 

Xterra model year: 2000
6 is the bitch, 5 is no problem at all, rearmost on the passenger side.

Post Posted: March 5th, 2008, 8:32 am 
Phreak
Phreak

Could it be a lose plug?

Could it be the head gasket?

2000-SE 2wd V-6 Original Owner 150K
Mods: CB, Rancho Shocks, K&N, Optima Red, 31" BFG-TAko's, Calmini PML, Custom gauge cluster.

Post Posted: March 6th, 2008, 10:17 pm 

Resolution:
Back when I changed the plugs months ago, the little washer on the plugs got jammed in the threads. Short story long, it took a few months for the washer to distort enough to start messing with the compression. New plug installed. OffroadX is correct #5 is the passenger side rear, not the PIA one. Sidebar - I probably wouldn’t have looked as hard at the plug to notice the misaligned washer if not for Gt’s comment and the OBDII code.

Replaced upper radiator hose, there was crud all around the engine side of the intake (discharge?) Anyway, cleaned the crud and new hose and clamps.
Running great again. $26

Post Posted: March 6th, 2008, 11:56 pm 
Phreak
Phreak

Congrats on the cheap fix.

That would have cost $200 at the shop ($643.99 at a $tealership).

$200
- $26
====
$174 <== MOD MONEY!!

2000-SE 2wd V-6 Original Owner 150K
Mods: CB, Rancho Shocks, K&N, Optima Red, 31" BFG-TAko's, Calmini PML, Custom gauge cluster.

Post Posted: April 15th, 2008, 10:36 am 

I personally would start with a new fuel filter and some fuel injector cleaner. Fuel problems can kick some weird codes.

Post Posted: April 17th, 2008, 11:25 pm 
Seasoned
Seasoned

So ... what exactly happened here?

Hmmm ... leaking upper radiator hose leads to loss of coolant. Low coolant level probably triggered the cold start sensor to kick in ... causing the truck to run really rough as it was too rich for being as warm as it was. (Gas mileage probably sucked too ... but this didn't happen long enough for you to notice.)

Replacing the leaky hose and topping off with fluid keeps the temp sensor and ECU from acting up. Problem 'magically' vanished.

I've seen the same thing on Hondas that aren't probably bled down after a coolant change. Solution is to bleed them down again and again until you get that last bubble.

My original guess was head gasket ... but that rarely leaves a puddle on the ground.

All in all, a very happy ending. :)

--- Jensen Button

Post Posted: March 23rd, 2009, 2:52 pm 

I am new to xterrafirma. I have this P0305 code that won't go away, and when it goes on, the engine runs rough as if it is running on 5 cylinders. It seems that the engine runs fine, until after I park it for a few moments (the engine is hot now) and when I turn the engine on, sometimes the engine has a misfire, (often times it will resolve itself after a minute or an engine restart. The problem was getting progressively worse, so I checked the spark, (was fine (new plug and rotor & cap)). After (finally) unclasping the connector for cly 5 fuel injector, my simple voltmeter shows a signal coming down the wires when the engine is on, and the injector shows the correct ohm resistance specified in the manual. Based on my observations, I have to believe the injector is barely operating and needs replacement.
As a quick check, I decided to replace the fuel filter (kind of a bitch) :x and it temporarily remedied the situation. The old filter was a bit harder to blow through! But ultimately, the cyl 5 begins not to fire and the engine runs rough again. I am hesitant to switch the fuel injector, as the service manual (I downloaded PDF) has a check list as long as Santa's of things to disconnect and drain. I am confused as the injector seems easily accessible. The coolant is one of the many things to drain (from the 2 engine drain ports (not easy to access (not the radiator plug))). My work space is limited and I dont want to rip apart half the engine to replace a easy injector (cyl 5 - passenger's side firewall).

Has anyone replaced a fuel injector on a X's V6??
I know fuel press release and disconnect is mandatory, but is the coolant drain necessary?

*Oh yeah, can anyone tell me how the OBDII knows that the specific cyl. misfire is cyl. 5 ??? I wonder if i have to check other cylinders, or I can trust the P0305 code to cyl. 5 .

Post Posted: March 25th, 2009, 12:17 pm 

Swapped for a new fuel injector (from NAPA $130) and runs like a charm ':P' (so far). Cleared all error codes,(in case new ones pop up). Was pretty easy. No need to do all the 5,000 steps in the service manual, (no need to dump coolant!!!) But I did disconnect the battery terminal, with all the gasoline around (damn, I have to reset the radio again). I did run into an issue, though. The fuel line disconnect began to leak gasoline when I screwed it back together (threaded flange w/ o-ring). I retried unscrewing, cleaning, and reattaching the connect, but a super small leak still after driving. Perhaps the o-ring seal is dirty/hardened or damaged. I will put some thread-sealant on it today, (gasoline resistant) to try to stop the leak.

I still am curious how the OBDII can pinpoint the exact cylinder that is failing to fire. Before I swapped the injector, I disconnected the injector's harness while the engine was running to see if the engine ran differently. No difference, hence the injector was most likely faulty on that (#5) cylinder.

:arrow: Does anyone know how acurate the OBDII is for pinpointing misfires???

Board index » Topical Discussion » Engine and Performance