View topic - Cold air intake 2000 Xtera 4x4

Register    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Topical Discussion » Engine and Performance

Post subject: Cold air intake 2000 Xtera 4x4
 Post Posted: December 24th, 2007, 3:03 pm 

Hi All.....

I am new to the group, and could not find any other topics on this, so here is my question.

I have a 2000 Xterra and I am considering purchasing a cold air intake, I was wondering has anyone used a cold air intake on the very underpowered 2000 3.3? If so, what kind of gains in hp and mileage did you get?
I saw on the k&n site that it is dyno rated @5.46hp...that just doesnt seem much unless it is a nice gain in mpg too.

Secondly, I have looked at the k&n kits, which run about $215-$245m abd the airaide(sp) around $190, but I found a brand Velocity which runs anywere from $75-$85, and I found one that was $74.95 and $5.95 shipping. Has anyone ever heard of velocity? I searched and searched and found no information on this company and the live chats with the different part companys had no clue about it either, and one place even said I would be the first to buy one. I did find the Velocity has a rechargeable filter.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!
:?:

Post subject: RE: Cold air intake 2000 Xtera 4x4
 Post Posted: December 24th, 2007, 3:11 pm 
Phreak
Phreak

IMHO, there are two ways to go with this...

1. Drop in a K&N. Thats what I did and I'm happy. No - it does not make it run like greased lightning. Nothing ever will unless you drop in a blown 427, run twice pipes down the side and add some fat drag slicks.

2. Volant. Volant makes a totally sealed CAI that keeps the mud, bugs, grit, grime and other trail junk off the element. This is a much better solution to the K&N drop in, but costs a lot more too. If my X was new I'd do it in a heart beat. Since it has 126k on it, I'll just wait another 75K and do it on my next X.

2000-SE 2wd V-6 Original Owner 150K
Mods: CB, Rancho Shocks, K&N, Optima Red, 31" BFG-TAko's, Calmini PML, Custom gauge cluster.

Post Posted: December 24th, 2007, 3:21 pm 

Did you notice any mpg change when you installed the K&N?

Post Posted: December 24th, 2007, 3:29 pm 
Phreak
Phreak

A little, but not much. More "pep" than anything else. Nothing is going to give you a "HOLY COW" moment at the pump where you realize you just saved a bunch of money in gas. Any performance gains would have to be verified by a dyno.

If you think about it, their 5hp gain is at the crank shaft, not the wheel. Only about 1/3 of that makes it to the wheels. So out of a 170hp engine you are adding a 1% increase in efficiency and power. You'd have to have a senistive butt to notice any change.

Now if you did the Volant and then ran headers with dual cats and dual exhaust, synthetic oil, then you might start to see some goody come out. Add on a hotter cam shaft to take advantage of the increased air flow capacity and then program the chip. then you are going to see some real OOMPH!

2000-SE 2wd V-6 Original Owner 150K
Mods: CB, Rancho Shocks, K&N, Optima Red, 31" BFG-TAko's, Calmini PML, Custom gauge cluster.

Post Posted: December 24th, 2007, 4:20 pm 

Thanks for the advice...WIth my X paid for now, just looking for something to keep me "interested" and keep my mind off a trade and getting a new one(along with new payments, bleh!)
I had a little fender bender earlier this month, and pocketed the $2k for the estimate, and ordered the front valance and front bumper flare(these two parts w/shipping cost me a total of less than $200) so I will have my grill and brush guard off anyway, so looking for some ideas on what to do as well.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: December 24th, 2007, 5:05 pm 

Welcome to the club,

Best thing to do is resell the ft valance and bumper flare when they get to you, then take some cash you made from the estimate and Shrock it!!

Seriously, go get a shrock ft bumper and replace your grille, and you probably wll even have enough left over for a decent winch and the cold air kit.

A good fairly cheap mod is to go to an auto parts store and pick out a transmission cooler (not much more than $60) and put it on while you have the ft end off the X. They come with instructions.

I hit a deer in early nov :( and was lucky enough to have a decent insurance company :P . I made enough $$ off that deer to fix all the damage and do a 3"body lift, buy new rims, transx cooler, and then spring for retrofitting an 02-04 hood complete with the paintjob onto my 01X.

Point is that there are many things to do with your X and any of them can be enjoyable.

2001 SE 4X4, AEM CAI, 3" Calmini SL, 3"BL, 02 Hood, Flowmaster 40 2.5 DIDO, Moroso 8.5 Red Plug Wires, Trans cooler, Fresh air mod, Pro Comp 33x13.50X18

Post subject:
 Post Posted: December 25th, 2007, 4:04 am 

another vote for the volant. coupled with my exhaust i have really noticed some power gains. no mpg, cuz i drive it harder cuz i like the sound lol

2001 nissan frontier CC SC
3 inch SL
31 inch terragrapplers
shrock bumper, custom sliders

Post subject:
 Post Posted: December 25th, 2007, 4:36 am 

I have a volant in mine, mind you its a supercharged 02 but i still see some increase in the power, but if you can avoid being leadfooted then you will most likely see a VERY slight increase in your mileage...maybe 1-2 mpg at the most.

you wont see any TRUE benefits to a cold air intake unless you couple it with a catback exhaust...there's no benefit in providing more air to the engine if it has nowhere to go...productive exhausts (i recommend magnaflow or gibson) help all that gorgeous cold air flow smoothly in and out without trouble.

welcome to the club.

aTm

"That was a stupid, stupid buy. Why do you need a car?" -Dad

02 SE S/C, Calmini SL, Volant CAI, Gibs Exhaust
Maxxxed out Credit Card

Post subject:
 Post Posted: December 25th, 2007, 12:26 pm 
Phreak
Phreak

welcome! Before you Shrock it though, body lift it. Before you say I am not a BL guy, ask yourself, am I a 33"+ tire guy? If the answer is yes, then you are a BL guy now.

Board index » Topical Discussion » Engine and Performance