View topic - Lockup Torque Converter Shudder and Rear dif oil leak

Register    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Topical Discussion » Drivetrain and Gears

Post subject: Lockup Torque Converter Shudder and Rear dif oil leak
 Post Posted: January 21st, 2010, 11:32 am 

I searched for the shudder issue but didn't find any. This is a v-6 4x4 2002 model with auto trans. Under mild acceleration at approx 45-50 miles per hour I get a hard shudder when the torque converter locks up. Feels almost as if I ran over rumble strips with the rear wheels only. It only lasts a second. Just wondering if anybody has had this problem and what the resolution was.
My second problem is that I have gearlube droplets all over the rear of the vehicle and it's pretty obvious that it is coming from rear end pinion seal. I can replace the seal but I was wondering if there was a chance that the pinion bearings may be shot also. Then of course wondering what it takes to get in there and change them. Thanks so much for any help!

Post subject: Re: Lockup Torque Converter Shudder and Rear dif oil leak
 Post Posted: January 29th, 2010, 3:47 pm 

I have the same problem with my torque converter. Seems that my radiator is leaking coolant into the transmission fluid, allowing the converter to slip.

Check your coolant levels when the truck is cold; you may have your answer.

Post Posted: January 4th, 2011, 6:03 pm 

I just recently started experiencing this same shudder between 40-60 mph with my 05Xterra (~120K miles). Took my Xterra back to dealer and they indicated possibility of transmission cooler leak also; although they checked my fluids and no cross contamination was evident. They recommended replacing torque converter, transmission and radiator...to the tune of ~$5k...there's got to be a more economically suitable answer...
What if I replace just the radiator (with tranny cooler) and flush the tranny and cooling system? Is it the contaminated fluid that causes the slippage or does the anti-freeze cause damage to the torque converter or tranny?

Post Posted: January 4th, 2011, 9:19 pm 

Xterra model year: 2000
If water/antifreeze gets into the transmission, it's pretty much shot. The "glue" used on the friction material is water-soluble.

Post Posted: August 14th, 2011, 7:50 pm 

Xterra model year: 2007
"If water/antifreeze gets into the transmission, it's pretty much shot. The "glue" used on the friction material is water-soluble."

You have got to be kidding me
You mean to tell me that theses friction materials are glued together with Elmers glue or something ?
In all the automotive history no one can do better than Elmers glue ?
Or maybe this is some new pc save the planet kind of thing where no one can build anything that is not "green"
I know water and oil don't mix and I am sure it's not good for the transmission but I did not think that this is the reason for the shudder
Can someone confirm that because I have a hard time believing it
If that is the case than theoretically all we have to do is to find some after market parts maker who makes friction plates with something other than Elmers glue and that should fix the shudder problem

Post Posted: August 14th, 2011, 8:13 pm 

Oh good grief, are you serious? The transmission is NOT SUPPOSED TO GET WATER IN IT and therefore a water-soluble glue is a PERFECTLY SUITABLE application. It's not "Elmer's glue" of course, but it does the job it's supposed to do just fine. This has been the case for decades.

Post Posted: August 16th, 2011, 8:50 pm 

I know the transmission is not supposed to get water in it I just didn't know that the friction material is glued with water soluble glue
I was trying to find out why so many cars these days have shudder problems with their transmission Something has changed from the previous transmissions
I have never had or heard of a transmission shuddering until it happened to me recently when I bought a used car

Is it because of the lock up torque converter ? Another term I never heard of until recently
It used to be just a torque converter

Are todays cars more prone to water leaks into the transmission ?

Post Posted: August 21st, 2011, 3:15 pm 

A lockup torque converter is nothing particularly new. It contains a small clutch that locks the input and output halves together under low-load conditions to improve fuel economy and reduce heat due to fluid shear. Otherwise the engine is always wasting some power and generating heat from spinning the input a bit faster than the output.

And no, cars aren't more prone to water in the transmission. There are really only 2 ways for it to happen short of a deliberate act. Either you ford water too deep, or the factory cooling circuit built into the bottom of the radiator is compromised and coolant finds its way from the radiator engine coolant passages into the transmission cooling portion. They're supposed to stay separate, but it's not unheard of for the radiator to fail in this way at some point. Most transmission shops will tell you this is an inevitability and you are better off just disconnecting the factory cooling circuit and installing a dedicated external cooler to avoid this chance.

Post Posted: August 21st, 2011, 6:44 pm 

Well it's new to me since the newest car I had until recently is a used '92 crown vic and I have never had any transmission problems with it
It seems to me that trying to improve fuel economy is the reason for the lock up torque converter and therefore the shudder condition
Personally I would prefer the regular non lockup converter over the lock up one
and leave the fuel economy up to the driver

Would you say that the shudder is caused more by the water or the lock up converter ?
Assuming there are 2 identical cars with equal amounts of water (whatever amount is causing the shudder) and one has a regular non lock up converter and the other one has a lock up converter. Would the one with the non lockup converter still shudder ?

Post Posted: August 21st, 2011, 7:08 pm 

Couldn't say if one or the other would be more prone to shudder due to water, or if water is even responsible.

Post Posted: March 21st, 2012, 11:34 am 

Xterra model year: 2005
I have the same problem with my '05. Took it in to Nissan only because I looked online and noticed a recall on the ECM. Needless to say, it didn't fix the problem. It only does this at very low speeds (25 mph) for a distance...say for instance in heavy traffic. My husband says it's definitely the torque converter in the transmission, but has checked all liquids and no cross contamination. He has noticed a small leak of power steering fluid and said that along with the tentioner...causing a whining sound. My only concern is NOT having it repaired before it gets really bad or causes more damage. I WILL NOT take it to Nissan as it's out of warranty and also they are just going to tell me I need a new transmission...(money maker). I will talk with some trusted people I know that have transmission shops and get some input from them. If it needs a new transmission, I will most likely unload it "AS IS" and get something else.....not a 2005 Xterra though....seems as though this was the worst year for this vehicle.....such a shame when I like it SO MUCH!

Post Posted: March 30th, 2012, 3:33 pm 
Seasoned
Seasoned

I was experiencing the "shudder" issue last year. The transmission in my X has been dealer serviced at or below recommended intervals since day 1. My radiator has been replaced, so I'm relatively sure it had nothing to do with coolant contamination.
I believe if you look in the owner's manual on the 1st gens - it tells you something to the effect of "manually lock out the overdrive at speeds around 45 mph" as you may experience a shudder due to the transmission trying to decide what it wants to do.
Anyway, it had been getting more noticeable at one point - especially after some hard use wheeling one day, and towing a two axle Uhaul trailer up here from MA. in the same weekend.
The transmission was getting close to a service interval anyway. I decided to switch to Valvoline High Mileage ATF.
Between that and paying more attention to making sure I either manually shift or don't drive at speeds where it's going to be a problem - it seems to be cured.

'00 Xterra, 3.3l, A/T, 4X4, Bilsteins, PML, AAL, Sway Away T-Bars, 265/70/16 AT2's, K&N Drop In, Nismo exhaust, Bumpers & Armor, I/A Brace, SS Brake Lines...

Sure, you can trust the government...

Board index » Topical Discussion » Drivetrain and Gears